Senior Legal Counsel EMEA
On behalf of one of our clients, an internationally active company based in Geneva, we are seeking a Senior Legal Counsel EMEA, who will lead the regional legal team in dealing with a large diversity of matters across EMEA.
Regional legal lead
- Lead the legal strategy within the region.
- Make sure that regional specificities are aligned with corporate legal policies.
- Monitor changes in laws and regulations.
- Proactively support and advise the Regional Management on strategic issues.
- Define best contractual practices and deliver training on contract management.
- Draft and negotiate various types of commercial agreements to support the Company’s core businesses’ activities.
- Ensure compliance with corporate contractual guidelines.
- Implement post audit remediation plans with targeted department to ensure consistency and contract compliance, particularly for sensitive vendors across the region (custom broker, freight forwarder).
- Manage the regional entities portfolio for annual compliance requirements (financial approvals, shareholders resolutions and local filings).
- Act as corporate secretary as needed.
- Provide assistance to the Tax and Finance departments for the preparation of any supporting documentation related to intercompany transactions.
- Analyze and mitigate any risks associated with statutory obligations.
- Support new country implementation and compliance risk management.
- Manage a litigation portfolio across multiple jurisdictions.
- Define litigation tactics and best procedures to implement in various countries.
- Effectively manage outside counsel network.
- Promote and enforce ethical behavior in accordance with the Company’s Code of Conduct as well as compliance with laws and regulations where it operates.
- Advise on matters including bribery risks, trade and export compliance, money laundering and data privacy (GDPR).
- Manage internal investigations and oversee/implement corrective actions in coordination with other functional and operating personnel.
- Admission to a Swiss or EU country Bar Association
- Strong legal background in common law and civil law systems
- At least 10 years’ post qualification experience in private practice in a leading law firm and/or as in-house counsel role, in a multinational environment
- Excellent communication and drafting skills in English and French
- Thorough understanding of the legal landscape in European and African markets
- Strong contractual drafting and negotiation expertise
- Logical and quick thinker, with a clear and concise communication style
- High level of integrity
- Ability to work autonomously
- Excellent project management skills